Saturday, January 10, 2009

Restaurant Meals at Home




On New Year's Eve, we had a fantastic dinner out with friends. I had Guiness braised short ribs. It got me thinking that I don't order this enough. When we went to BJ's (like Sam's or Costco) after the holiday, we noticed that they had beef short ribs in the meat case and decided to try it ourselves!

I looked at a few recipes and decided to make my own combination. It was surprisingly easy - just 1 pot, 1 casserole dish and a cutting board and knife for prep. Here's what I came up with:

Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
Beef Short Ribs
Carrots (chopped
Onion (chopped
Fresh Cranberries (I would leave these out next time
1 bottle dry red wine
Beef broth
Salt, pepper
Bay leaf

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a large heavy pot, heat oil. Sear ribs in small batches on all sides and set aside in a casserole dish/pan.
In the pot, add veggies and brown for appx 10 minutes.
Add in wine, about 1 cup of beef broth and bring to a boil.
Add in the short ribs and a few bay leaves
Cover and cook in the 350 degree oven for about 2 hours, until ribs are tender. Remove ribs from pot and set aside in a casserole dish.
Place pot over medium high heat and cook until sauce is thickened.

We had it with a cous cous blend. You could do mashed potatoes, rice, or any good starchy side dish.

We will definitely make this again - but with different combinations of veggies, a different liquid (next time beer), and some different spices. We had about 4lbs. of ribs. I think we had at least four meals out of it - great value for the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails